Monday, December 01, 2008

Lee Kuan Yew's Quote About Cambodia

In an effort to find out how my country was during the 1960s as rumors said that Cambodia then was a jewel of Asia... I found out this one quote, quite satisfactory though not yet confirmed to me that my country was really so.

Anyway, here's what he said then:

Up to the late 1960s, Cambodia was the shining star of Indo-China, a confluence of intellectuals, traders, artists and bourgeois who lived, played and worked there. Phnom Penh was the jewel of Asia then. Lee Kuan Yew, the first Prime Minister of Singapore visited Cambodia in April 1967 at the invitation of Prince Norodom Sihanouk. Cruising along the capital's elegant boulevards in a Mercedes convertible, Lee turned to his host and said, "I hope, one day, my city will look like this".

Read more from: http://www.thingsasian.com/stories-photos/24621

This kind of quotes or rumors really make my heart cool, warm, and at the same time hot... the inconvenient saying.

2 comments:

  1. I know this site gives quality based articles or reviews and other data, is there any other website which provides
    these things in quality?

    Also visit my web-site resting metabolic rate calculator

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think he is right when he visit cambodia before Pol Pot regim which take place from 1975-79. But also after pol pot regim cambodia run so slow and now can't compare to neighbore country.

    ReplyDelete